Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tribute to Julius Chingono from Togara Muzanenhamo


"I first came across Julius Chingono’s work some fifteen years ago. After reading his poetry I knew I had read the work of an exceptional poet. What struck me most was the clean honesty of his work, a quality that draws the reader in without throwing up any barriers. Three years ago I eventually met the man at a reception in Harare. Discovering we lived relatively close to each other, I took the opportunity to visit him at his house in Norton – there I was met with a warm welcome and our friendship rapidly blossomed, a friendship I will always look back on fondly. Like his work – Julius was straightforward with a complex depth of humour and tragedy – his hand and mind mirroring the various facets of his surroundings from which he sculpted the poems and stories that have claimed my admiration. As a writer Julius taught me the values of artistic integrity, the importance of personal honesty in art. Julius Chingono will be missed greatly."


Togara Muzanenhamo's poetry collection The Spirit Brides was published to critical acclaim by Carcanet Press. Togara's help and advice in getting Together, by Julius Chingono and John Eppel, ready for publication is much appreciated by 'amaBooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment